fading suns?

World of Warcraft 3.1: The Secrets Of Ulduar

at 16:22 - 14th, April 2009

are these things getting better or is it just me?

i don`t know half the back story to this, does someone mind explaining it?

and of interest, does anyone still play wow?

• Alex

Okamiden Trailer
Microsoft to purchase Activision for $68.7 bi
You've probably heard about this by now. It made major news everywhere, not just on gaming...

WOW movies

Curt Curt
News comment 1 | User comment 281 | 16:31 - 14th, Apr 2009

I'm still subscribed, and I log on once in a while. I still love the game, but I just don't want to put that much time into it. That, and I don't have a cadre of players to play with regularly anymore, so there's not as much of an incentive.

As for the little story intros they do for each patch, they've been very cinematic for awhile now, but the last expansion (Wrath of the Lich King) was the first to have in-game cutscenes like this, to great effect. I really should get back into the game so I can see the one in the game first hand.

In regards to the backstory they're talking about in the trailer, it goes like this. Eons ago, the world was created by the Titans. The Titans warred against a great elder race of creatures with power beyond imagining. One of them, C'Thun was buried under Ahn'Qiraj. Another, Yogg-Saron was trapped in Ulduar, a Titan fortress in Northrend. Sound familiar? Yeah, it's Cthulhu in WoW (Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth, of course).

Curt Curt
News comment 2 | User comment 281 | 16:33 - 14th, Apr 2009

In the meeting in the video, it's the alliance leaders Jaina Proudmoore, the returned King Varian Wrynn, and some other guy I don't recognize right away. Because Wrynn was severely abused by his captor orcs, he's got some racial prejudice against the Horde (in particular, Orcs), who the Alliance is trying to work with to stop the Lich King. Jaina and the others are wise enough, but Wrynn's the one in charge. That's why she ports down into the foyer to talk to Thrall, cause it could very well get ugly. Thrall was abused by humans when he was raised, but he's wise enough to know that they're not all bad, and is good friends with Jaina.

Clear as mud?

News comment 3 | User comment 4957 | 16:38 - 14th, Apr 2009

i caught thrall and jiana but none of the others.
i tried reading the mythos when i was at HP and it was just too long winded for me to really get into it while i was working.

Curt Curt
News comment 4 | User comment 281 | 16:43 - 14th, Apr 2009

I picked up all my lore knowledge mainly by playing the games, especially Warcraft III, but I've also read the lore on the website and read most of the RPG. WoW also has lore in just about every quest chain or dungeon, as long as you're looking for it, so that's helped as well. It's some of the most interesting lore in a videogame, in my opinion.

News comment 5 | User comment 4957 | 16:49 - 14th, Apr 2009

absolutely, i could never understand how someone could play the game without reading the full text of the quests

Curt Curt
News comment 6 | User comment 281 | 16:53 - 14th, Apr 2009

Yeah, it's well-written, so it's fun to read too. That said, to each their own. I know players that use mods that show them on their minimap exactly where to go, just about completely negating the need to read any quest text at all.

News comment 7 | User comment 1051 | 17:22 - 14th, Apr 2009

Yeah, questhelper is pretty handy, but you still have to read the quests. I used it when i was trying to level quickly with a friend to get to the burning crusade content. It's handy to keep track of all the quests you have and where to turn them in, but for some quests if you're not careful you can miss a step. Probably the best thing about that mod was that it told you what mobs would drop the loot needed to finish a quest.

News comment 8 | User comment 4957 | 17:38 - 14th, Apr 2009

and how rare certain items were?

News comment 9 | User comment 1051 | 19:30 - 14th, Apr 2009

No unfortunately it doesn't tell you that much information. What it does is show you an arrow on the map for the next phase of the quest or to the location where you can find the mobs you need to kill. When you select a mob it tells you if you need to kill it for a quest and keeps track how many more you need.

Cliff Cliff
News comment 10 | User comment 176 | 2:56 - 15th, Apr 2009

I still play everyday, but I don't know a lot of the backlore. When I start a new character I want to concentrate on doing the dungeons and getting as much story from the game as I can.

News comment 11 | User comment 4957 | 9:57 - 15th, Apr 2009

how many characters do you guys generally have?

in the beta i had a human rogue

my original account on a western server i had a human rogue, then switched to gilneas and had a human rogue

lost that account to my mom and started a new acount where i had a human rogue

highest level i ever got to i think was 42

got fed up of paying but not playing so killed the account

found out about warcrack and started a couple of characters there, first was a human rogue, then went to a dwarf warrior which frustrated the hell out of me. then a pally dwarf, also frustrating.
started an orc warrior and was pleasantly surprised but my g4 mac couldn't deal with ogrimar and stopped playing.

if i were to start playing again i would probably start a warlock or rogue again. hell, maybe even a priest, you always need a priest in wow...

but i would only play on wowcrack. the servers were 90% up and the population was good.

Curt Curt
News comment 12 | User comment 281 | 10:43 - 15th, Apr 2009

I have about 20 characters across two servers, but I primarily only play about 4 of them with any sort of regularity: Human warrior (72), human priest (71), draenei mage (73), tauren shaman (33). I like to change it up and play other characters sometimes, to keep things interesting.

I'd be level 80 with a few characters by now, but I've only been playing sporadically over the past few months, and was leveling up my mage when the expansion came out.

If you do consider playing a priest, just remember that they're quite probably the toughest class to play in the game, and one of the first that's blamed if something goes wrong. But if you like helping people out, it's also very rewarding.

News comment 13 | User comment 4957 | 10:45 - 15th, Apr 2009

the only way i would get to play again is if i could convince vikie to join me, which ain't going to happen
game just takes up too much time.

News comment 14 | User comment 4957 | 10:54 - 15th, Apr 2009

i mean, if anything we'll play diablo 3 when it comes out but not wow. games with no endings are bad for the soul