The system is notorious at this point and I am surprised people just buy into it with no return expected. And if you look at it now it's pretty nasty looking. I think their initial prototype probably looked better. And well if it were

Watch Someone else play playstation home for 15 minutes

at 23:48 - 25th, November 2008

looks pretty kewl. really get that open world feeling, but generally seems like a waste of time, no?

News comment 1 | User comment 1159 | 7:26 - 26th, Nov 2008

So what exactly does it do? I think it has particular purpose. All I am seeing is that this is Sony's version of the Sims minus good gameplay. It looks pretty but aside from that I see longish instanced load times, it's definitely a corporate propaganda machine with ad's everywhere and it's just sooo sterile. Like honestly the best they can offer is your apartment space with free bowling, pool, etc. Seem's more like an internet station for teenagers to shoot the shit. In all I am quite dissapointed

News comment 2 | User comment 4882 | 10:26 - 26th, Nov 2008

aye, but we should of been expecting this from the get go. it was supposed to be competition for mii's and for the NXE.
on that aspect, i think it does fairly well because the other two don't really push the limits as far as this one.
that being said, it still just is an avatar and trophy system with a physics engine stapled on.

are they charging for this?

News comment 3 | User comment 1159 | 13:37 - 26th, Nov 2008

It really isn't competition per se. I mean it's an avatar in a sense but not the traditional method the other two are doing. They decided to do their own Second Life type mmo environment so not really competing.

And I mean what limits is it pushing? It's a more pretty sims minus the fun features. Chatting and emotions seems to be kind of archaic in design.

I think the PS3 has huge potential provided they can get things to work, make things more affordable and just all around make it a more worth while system. This is not doing it. It's pretty much an over glorified chat room. Habbo Hotel?

NXE is pretty much what Mii should have aimed for. Not some MS Paint reject art project.

News comment 4 | User comment 4882 | 14:00 - 26th, Nov 2008

but i think this is the mentality of of sony right now. they did it, so we have to, and bigger (and consequently more useless). the beautiful thing about habbo is how retro it looks.
this seems like a direct rip on second life with more fluidity and better graphics.

i think it'll be fun for a little bit, but the novelty will probably wear off faster than waggle on the wii.

i'm curious as to what sony's grand plan for home is though. is it really just a gamerangers-esque application with a physics engine or will there be more to it?

News comment 5 | User comment 1159 | 14:36 - 26th, Nov 2008

I think what you see is what you get. I know there will be your trophy room or some such thing. Mini games like the chess, pool, bowling, corporate propaganda and then probably furniture / clothes microtransactions for your avatar.

News comment 6 | User comment 4882 | 15:22 - 26th, Nov 2008

yay, i love things for my avatars!
</sarcasm>

i never understood the idea of paying real money for getting something that doesn't really exist.

News comment 7 | User comment 1159 | 23:14 - 26th, Nov 2008

Well the virtual items do exist...virtually. I think it also stupid to buy shirts, shorts, etc individually. I think theme packs would be better suited.