ah nothing like sexism to make my day.

Just out of curiosity...

at 10:43 - 10th, October 2008

So, as a few of you know I joked around about having all my groomsmen at my wedding wearing kilts in their family colours. Well, I know this would never fly, mainly because Deb isn't keen on the idea, but also because a kilt in one's family colours often prices at around $450. But it did, however, get my curiosity going. I know my family tartan and really like it, but what's everyone else's?

So I put it to you all. Everyone post the family name of your British/Scottish/Irish ancestry and I'll see what tartans I can find for you and see if they'd even match with my original idea. I just felt it might be a fun little excercise.

**EDIT**

Cliff's family tartan was kind of a no-brainer since Gallagher has had an established tartan for centuries. The strange thing is that it's not in the world register. It is however on the Scottish Tartans Authority Register (the two in conjuction form the closest thing we've got an official list of recognized tartans.

Alex's family, Skerritt, has been in the Galway region of Ireland since 1242, and having no family tartan, pretty much default to the tartan of their district. Therefore, Alex could legitimately wear the Galway Irish Tartan.

Now Carl's was a tricky one, we have two names to go on, Lavigne, and Javes (also known as Jeeves), neither, despite being some of the oldest families seated in Fance and England respectively, has their own tartan. Which leaves us with the dsitricts of Brittany, France and Oxfordshire, England (which is where Oxford university is). Curiously the district doesn't have its own tartan, but the university does, so I suppose in a pinch we could go with that, which I'm iffy on, but it looks really nice.

Andy's Family, Lacey, also defaults to it's region of origin, which would be the county of Limerick. As such, Andy is entitled to wear the Limerick District Tartan.

Then there's another no-brainer, Curt's family/clan tartan, Hay.

And of course we have Chris' family tartan Dawson (or Davidson, they're the same one).

And for good measure, my sister's boyfriend's family Tartan, Thomas, or MacThomas.

Now we're only missing JS.

***Last Updated 2008-10-10 10:42 by John ***

***Last Updated 2008-10-10 10:43 by John ***

News comment 1 | User comment 1050 | 17:18 - 9th, Oct 2008

Don't think you'll find any tartans for my family.

News comment 2 | User comment 4954 | 18:35 - 9th, Oct 2008

no but there must be a coat of arms at least

News comment 3 | User comment 4954 | 18:38 - 9th, Oct 2008

here's my coat of arms, having trouble finding a tartan, and now i find news that skerritt is an irish name.

News comment 4 | User comment 1359 | 19:00 - 9th, Oct 2008

intersting .. i have a few ..

mcmanamy
lacey
nutall

wasn't able to find anything though

News comment 5 | User comment 4954 | 19:11 - 9th, Oct 2008

awesome, didn't know you were scottish/irish/other/jedi...

your dad's side?

News comment 6 | User comment 1359 | 19:38 - 9th, Oct 2008

acutally both my parents are 50% french, 50% irish/some british .. my mom's an american, but her grand father was from lac st-jean o.O

News comment 7 | User comment 4954 | 21:10 - 9th, Oct 2008

turning out to be more of a mutt than a francanewf ;)

News comment 8 | User comment 376 | 10:05 - 10th, Oct 2008

Come on, JS, you can do better than that. Just toss out the family names of both parents and their parents if you can, you'd be surprised how it can be traced back.

And what about you, Carl? I can't remember your mom's maiden name, I was hoping to see what I could find for your family.

News comment 9 | User comment 376 | 11:21 - 10th, Oct 2008

So, that leaves with a lineup as follows:

John
Alex
Curt
Carl
Cliff
Chris T.
Bry

News comment 10 | User comment 4954 | 12:05 - 10th, Oct 2008

wow john, well researched and well written.
very impressive. i had read about galway but didn't know i could wear the tartan under those circumstances.

News comment 11 | User comment 376 | 13:00 - 10th, Oct 2008

Yup, there are really only a handful of restricted tartans (the Blackwatch for example), usually specially created ones. But most district or country ones can be worn by anyone who is from, or decends from that area.

One thing many don't know is that there are even corporate tartans. British Energy, Drambuie, < a href="http://www.scottish-tartans-world-register.com/tartan.aspx?record=1612">Hudson's Bay Company, even the RCMP and FBI have their own.

News comment 12 | User comment 1159 | 16:33 - 11th, Oct 2008

BTW my grandmothers maiden name is Johnson if that helps find anything more specific.

Christophe Christophe
News comment 13 | User comment 766 | 15:56 - 14th, Oct 2008

FUCKING SQUIRELS! I LOVE MY FAMILY!

News comment 14 | User comment 4954 | 17:29 - 14th, Oct 2008

vikie was curious and asked what her family tartan would be, couldn't find anything concrete, but maybe you can johnny. i traced her Roy name back to Ruadh maybe that'll help.