cote des neiges would be good for me, i hate the theater at angrignon, tiny and over priced

Trance Fridays #286 - Noel Sanger - One More Time (Solarity Vocal Mix)

at 8:15 - 21st, April 2015
A little bit more House than Trance but absolutely love the buildup to this.

News comment 1 | User comment 1361 | 10:37 - 21st, Apr 2015

News comment 2 | User comment 4957 | 13:44 - 21st, Apr 2015

The easiest way to distinguish between house and trance used to be the speed of the music, trance seemed to be faster, 140bpm+ while house was usually 120bpm.

Another way was the layers, trance to me has always had more going on in it compared to house, every time you listened to the same song you'd find a new "instrument" to focus on or some underlying thing that you hadn't noticed before.

Finally, to me trance music always had more character to it, almost like it was taking you on a journey. There was a beginning, one climax if not more and finally a closing. House didn't have this, it was constant the entire way through.

Techno on the other hand was always so much more basic than everything else to me.

Now, all of this has become blurred with what people have dubbed trance 2.0. Trance like any other genre is influenced by outside sources and dubstep of all things has seriously impacted electronic music. Now everything seems to have "a drop" and that has even surfaced in trance. There's also the idea of trance elements being sucked into other genres to create things like trouse.

News comment 3 | User comment 4957 | 13:49 - 21st, Apr 2015

Progressive on the other hand openly incorporates other genres, so you'll have progressive house, progressive trance and whatnot, not to mention simply progressive music. The key element of progressive music, no matter the subgenre, progressive music doesn't seem to go anywhere. Elements of the music are introduced slowly and it just seems to go on and on. Some people hate this about progressive, personally, I love it, especially when I'm getting sucked into a track and really feeling it, I don't want it to end and progressive really makes me happy because of this.

News comment 4 | User comment 4957 | 13:51 - 21st, Apr 2015

I you want to hear samples of all these genres you can also check out Ishkur's history of techno, which they still seem to be updating.

News comment 5 | User comment 1361 | 14:34 - 21st, Apr 2015

cool site! thanks!

News comment 6 | User comment 1361 | 15:35 - 21st, Apr 2015

i might need to revive my chiptunes/other music thread now lol

News comment 7 | User comment 4957 | 7:15 - 22nd, Apr 2015