my only issue is, most business people have a laptop already, why carry this?

Natal on Fallon

at 11:45 - 11th, June 2009
i really hate jimmy fallon, he's really annoying. anyway, if you wanted to see how natal works with other games than ms paint and the smoke and mirrors of milo then here's your chance.

fallon had the 360 with natal on his show last night, so if you haven't already seen it here you go.

it only really gets interesting around 1:18 left in the video.

the general look of natal so far reminds me so much of waggle. you remember all those crappy eyetoy games for the ps2? looks pretty much the same but can determine depth as well.

• Alex

News comment 1 | User comment 1159 | 13:49 - 11th, Jun 2009

Not sure how it reminds you of waggle as your not flailing a remote. Your just reacting to the environment in 1:1. A lot of people are giving a hard time on these tech demo's on forums. Honestly I think this thing is brilliant. Miyamoto even admitted Nintendo had this idea in mind but opted out of it. It will be good to see some solid games on it.Burnout that is more tweaked as MS inferred it was just a rushed example of Natal. Imagine fully developed. I think it's pretty freaking cool. And at least with MS we know we will not get a fisher price mini game pack, we will bound to get some decent teen - mature rated games that really use motion as it should be.

News comment 2 | User comment 4968 | 14:05 - 11th, Jun 2009

i think your giving it too much credit. while it's a step in the right direction, so was the wiimote. i see devs rushing to make games for this and a lot of party/mini games coming out when it hits shelves.

and when i say flailing about, im referring to the fact that everyone, even kudo looks like their just flailing when trying to hit a ball.

i was reading destructoid and kotaku and people raised some very interesting complaints. mainly the fact that when people have been seen playing this they're always standing.

can you imagine playing a game like fallout or final fantasy and standing there for 3-4 hours straight? and how would you move around?

natal also has issues with lighting, thus the orange jump suits, and dark skin colour. sorry black people.

like i said, it's a step in the right direction. not nearly what is needed just yet.

News comment 3 | User comment 1159 | 14:20 - 11th, Jun 2009

lol

Obvious companies will release mini games, that's just a fact and the extra casual cash wouldn't hurt the MS wallet. In fact I am sure they want it. And not quite sure if you figured it out but the tech demo was a game shooting balls in which you are to flail your arms and legs. It's to demonstrate the 1:1 ratio. You know that thing you need to pay extra on the wii for. It's also a reason why people are standing.

The jumpsuit was rumored possible due to the bright stage lights.But again to me this is still dev kit equipment which is close in appearance to final form.

I seriously hope however your not naive enough to think for FF they will make you walk. Your also making assumptions they will use it for FF.

I think we need to do a wait and see but the concept is aweome. It pretty much does what the wii should have done to begin with. It's easy to bash tech demo's and say prove that it's worth it. You bought a $299 machine that just has tech demo's (Wii Sports, Wii Resort, Wii Fit). I mean gimme a break. Pot meet Kettle. Wii has some good examples of games that use it's ability good. But give the concept some credit

It's a step forward to where things will be going.

News comment 4 | User comment 1159 | 14:21 - 11th, Jun 2009

It will probably be out in another year so the tech will be tweaked, games will be made and then we will see if this was worth the hype. But so far it has my interest. It's easy to sell "potential" (ie: Wii) but somewhere along the way one of the three has to show something substantial.

News comment 5 | User comment 1159 | 14:26 - 11th, Jun 2009

Check this out: http://kotaku.com/5287069/natal-launch-will-be-as-big-as-360s

Pretty much their doing things quite smart. Treat peripheral as a system launch with a bunch of games. To me this tells me their very serious about this tech. I'm not going to debate quality as I am sure we will have some shitty as games in there.

News comment 6 | User comment 4968 | 14:27 - 11th, Jun 2009

so what do you think of ps3 and it's motion sensor?

to me, that seemed just like 2 wiimotes.

the interesting thing about natal is you can turn anything you can hold into a wiimote (theoretically)

News comment 7 | User comment 1159 | 14:34 - 11th, Jun 2009

The PS3 motion sense confused me. It also looked like a vibrator. I mean it's another Wii-mote. Wasn't really revolutionary. Also it requires the Eye Toy I believe. So in reality you need to buy 2 peripherals to do motion detection.

I think Sony could have done a lot better. I mean considering the Economic times they decided to release a PSPgo at a more expensive price then the PSP 3000. Also you need to buy the two peripherals for motion detection. So it's a big investment they want you to jump into. I guess we will see when they have more things for it. It just didn't blow me away. It was like ok you guys did what they other guys did, your only difference is I have to buy this thing now to make these remotes work right.

News comment 8 | User comment 4968 | 15:02 - 11th, Jun 2009

but you have to buy natal for that to work.
i would imagine they'll have some kind of eyetoy bundle when it arrives. psp was a huge mistake, like the dsi
it's fugly, it doesn't have the umd support so all the games people have bought will have to be downloaded now, and sony has said not all will be released. smaller screen and bigger price. doesn't make any sense. also the psp can download games just like the pspgo.

retarded. and i was worried that the dsi would sink nintendo a bit with the release of a new psp, ha.

lets calculate this, the wiimote with gyroscope costs 70 bucks about. so by that logic the ps3 motion sensor uses one gyroscope in each baton, ~$140, then you need to have the eyetoy, ~$30, so after all this your pretty much buying another console. they better have a bundle for a better price.

Curt Curt
News comment 9 | User comment 281 | 9:42 - 12th, Jun 2009

I think Sony has clearly demonstrated, and spectacularly so, that they completely miss the point. They've introduced something just like the Wiimote, only more accurate, that requires another peripheral to work at all. Sony seems to think that buying more stuff at higher prices is ultimately what we want as gamers. Riiiight.

I think Natal's the most impressive out of all of the new motion stuff that was shown. I imagine there may be a few party games, and I don't think it'll be used for motion controls for all games, but for ones where it works, that's fine. Apparently the Burnout demo demonstrated that it could be used for more traditional games, and you don't have to stand for it to work. ;)

Wii Motion Plus is cool, and much needed, but it sucks that it wasn't there from the beginning. My main concern with that is that it'll be required to play some games, and if it does well enough, it'll probably be required for all games. I guess we'll wait and see. At least it's not super-expensive or anything.

News comment 10 | User comment 4968 | 10:07 - 12th, Jun 2009

i think what they've done is figured, wii is a success, let's make one that looks HD.

with sony execs saying things like
If you look back at previous lifecycles, like PS2 versus N64 [sic], we have lots of data that suggests that lots of people bought into N64 as their entry level gaming device, and were happy to upgrade to a more powerful machine later in the lifecycle when the price point was right for them.

I think we're going to see this later on PS3, and the fact that it's a Blu-ray player as well and that there's a [greater] wealth of network based experiences than are perhaps available on the device they already have will add to the proposition. I think that will definitely be a factor in the marketplace.

kinda hints at it. either that or sony isn't sure about motion control yet and they're kinda half assing it, this way if it doesn't work out then it's no big loss.

News comment 11 | User comment 4968 | 10:08 - 12th, Jun 2009

as for WMP being required for all games, i think it will happen for the motion controlled ones, but with games like muramasa demon blade coming out and will probably do well, it might tell devs, waggle in any form is not needed to make a good game on wii.

News comment 12 | User comment 1159 | 10:54 - 12th, Jun 2009

I think designers will have to be really particular if they force motion control on you. Wii motion controls are forced on a majority of their games and it comes off as tacked on experiences. I want to see some games that make me go wow, this needed to absolutely have the motion controls for the full experience.

News comment 13 | User comment 4968 | 11:27 - 12th, Jun 2009

sword fighting games like zelda and red steel will definitely have that feeling with WMP i think

Curt Curt
News comment 14 | User comment 281 | 13:22 - 12th, Jun 2009

I actually think that there are a few games on the Wii that already really demonstrate that they're better for having motion controls: Okami and Resident Evil 4 spring to mind. Not to mention LostWinds. But they definitely seem tacked on in games like Super Paper Mario.

I think the big advantage that the Wiimote has is operating basically like a mouse. Zack & Wiki demonstrated this wonderfully. I think it would be wicked if Natal ended up bringing some point-and-click adventure games to the 360.

News comment 15 | User comment 4968 | 13:28 - 12th, Jun 2009

i still have to pick up zack and wiki

ps3 motion controller seems to be very good at that as well, what with the devs writing their names on the chalk board or whiteboard or whatever it was