so mouse & keyboard support.. someones gonna put linux on it

FF7 Advent Children extended edition

at 23:22 - 29th, January 2009

Looks like Sony's releasing an extended edition of advent children in april. Looks like it might be interesting.

News comment 1 | User comment 1159 | 13:25 - 30th, Jan 2009

Anything FF7 tends to be top notch. So I am all for it

News comment 2 | User comment 4895 | 13:27 - 30th, Jan 2009

leave it alone already. move on to the next ff movie or whatever.
i'm tired of seeing new versions of ff7, be it a movie or a game or whatever.

it'd be nice to see them put this kind of effort into the latest final fantasy.

News comment 3 | User comment 4895 | 13:31 - 30th, Jan 2009

i'm confused, was the original so over the top, or is it a japanese thing or just the extended version?

News comment 4 | User comment 1159 | 13:34 - 30th, Jan 2009

Dude have you seen the trailer for the new FF? I think they can do just fine.

FF7 has an awesome story and I think if you can expand it without going into cheese then thats great. FF X2 could have been a lot better all considering and I think that killed peoples perceptions of sequels.

Also the problems with movies is people whine and bitch that it's not FF enough. Where are the classes, where are the crystels, FF is not sci-fi. Face it, the fanbase want things cattered to them and won't accept change.

News comment 5 | User comment 4895 | 14:47 - 30th, Jan 2009

i don't mean in graphics. aside from ff6 7 and 9, i can't bring myself to replay a final fantasy. the stories just aren't interesting enough or the game play is too slow.

they need to push into the story more. which is weird considering we're talking about squeenix, one of the most story oriented companies.

News comment 6 | User comment 376 | 15:04 - 30th, Jan 2009

The real problem is that Squeenix's games are, by and large, unrelentingly pretentious. And, let's face it, characteristically emo.

But, that's Japanese pop culture. I mean look at most anime, full of big hair, attitude and over-the-top powers to match. I don't knock the FF series based simply on the fact that they are pretentious or emo, I would a hypocrite if I did. What I do knock it on is how SqueEnix seems to have taken this self-important emotism and made it their trademark.

They've stopped being known for the quality of their stories and are defined by flashy graphics games that play themselves. They're sacrificing story for gameplay, which makes both suffer.

Honestly, they should just remove the last bit of interactivity and stick with making movies, they're good at it.

News comment 7 | User comment 4895 | 15:07 - 30th, Jan 2009

i always said, split square and enix apart. have square make movies and enix make games.

now that activision owns blizzard i think they should do the same, keep activision on games and move blizzard to movies.

some of the best cutscenes i've ever seen in games are from both companies, square with their final fantasies and blizzard with the diablo series.

News comment 8 | User comment 376 | 15:14 - 30th, Jan 2009

I agree. Enix made good games, Square made good cutscenes, I was so hopeful when they merged that we'd get the quality of the Enix games, and the prettiness of the Square games, alas, only Dragon Quest 8 fulfilled that hope.

News comment 9 | User comment 4895 | 15:30 - 30th, Jan 2009

have you tried the ds versions?
quite fun. and another coming soon, looks even better

News comment 10 | User comment 1159 | 21:34 - 30th, Jan 2009

Enix was going bust because they could not compete. They were bought out. Like honestly aside from the original Dragons Warriors, the whole lot of Dragon Quest games was never highly praised. They were shelved and forgotten. Square bought them because they can market RPG's.

If you let this famous 'Enix' division carry the FF franchise they WILL fail. Dragon Quest has not yet saved itself yet since the buyout.

Again with the movies. They should only cater to their crowd, nobody is interested in FF movies aside from the diehard fans. FF: TSW proved that. It had a pretty good story but lauded because it was not FF enough.

News comment 11 | User comment 1159 | 21:40 - 30th, Jan 2009

As for the stories it's like any other game. Some are hit, some are miss. I loved 7, meh on 8, loved 9, 10 was good, 10-2 meh, 12 is good so far. I don't think that they replace story with game play. They have a script writer who writes a script (usually the same guy too) and they work the dynamics of the game around it. So if the story is not to your liking will base it individually instead of a cop out blame on another aspect of the game.

But their stories are intricate and the best around game wise. Also Zidane, Tidus, the 12 dude and the 13 chick are not your typical emo badass.

They have typical anime looks but hey thats just the style they like and it sells. Like honestly it sells bucket loads and if it was craptacular as your implying then I think people would notice by now.

News comment 12 | User comment 1159 | 21:52 - 30th, Jan 2009

FF 8 got blasted and they got back to form.

I would like to see them work on some other IP like Vagrant Story which was just awesome. They should branch out a bit. I am also not found of the 20 re-releases of their older games.

I get each FF because even though the story may or may not be the best you always find something in there which holds a deeper meaning. Something to think about, something emotional. They hit a cord each and every time. With FF8 the centerpiece to me was Laguna's relationship to his wife, how he met her, how she passed on and left him a daughter and how he was once a great hero much like Squall and the parallel to his love for Rhiona. And that all despite combat, etc being shit.

Even turd games have something to get from them. It's sometimes hard to see.